You never know when bad weather or a disaster could happen so why not make sure you are prepared! Master Lock has some great tips to help you prepare to keep your family and important belongings safe and secure.
- Know weather language. Here in Canada we rely on Environment Canada for severe weather warnings. It's easy to keep up with the weather in your area by watchig the weather channel on TV or downloading an app onto practically any device. Social media is also a good place to get up to date news on weather all across the country. Learn the language of your national weather advisory organization so that you can prepare your family for severe weather.
- Prepare in advance. Severe weather can strike at any time, so take the basic steps now to ensure your family is ready should a storm strike while you're at home or away.
Keep an updated emergency kit at home at all times. This kit should include necessities like enough water for at least 72 hours for your family, non-perishable foods, pet food (should you have a pet), flashlights, batteries, candles and matches. Date your emergency kit and store items in a cool, dry place and replace them every six months or so.
If you are away when severe weather hits, make sure that a trusted relative or neighbour has appropriate access to your property if needed. A resettable combination padlock like the Master Lock M175XDLF Combination Padlock, is a convienient option to help secure your gate or fence since it doesn't require a key. You can reset the combination as many times as you need, for extra security when you return home.
- Create a backup plan. Over the years raising a family, we have collected a good amount of important and personal documents that I know we would be devistated if we ever lost. Our file box is one thing I would definitely want to save in the case of an emergency. SentrySafe fire safes offer protectio against fire and flood, making sure your important documents and items are safe long after the storm blows over. To help with disaster recovery in real time, store digital copies of important documents (including insurance policies!) in a secure online storage hub like the Master Lock Vault. It's free to use and accessable 24/7 through smartphones, tablets or on computer allowing easy access anytime.
- Secure outdoor belongings. Storms can be very damaging to the outside of your home, due to heavy rain, wind, or damaging hail or lightening. Lock up all possible outdoor belongings in a garage or covered shed and secure the door with a padlock built to survive tough weather like the Master Lock M115xDLF Covered Laminated Padlock. For items that can't be easily removed and stored such as patio furniture (we almost lost a table due to a rain and wind storm once!), lock them tightly together and to another sturdy surface. Use a securing cable like the Master Lock Python Adjustable Locking Cable. These safety tactics can also help prevent theft also.
- Go Cordless. In a severe weather situation, even bad thunder showers, it's always a good idea to keep away from electrical sources like computers, microwaves, corded phones and other electronics which require being plugged directly to a current. Power surges can occur, damaging your electronics. If you still have power during a bad storm, try using a cordless or cell phone instead of a corded phone as the cord can conduct electricity.
I certainly hope that our Canadian weather is nice to us for the fall season. Either way, we will be one more step to being prepared with Master Lock!
For more information about the mentioned products please visit www.MasterLock.com!
Master Lock wants to help you prepare your family and home for life's unexpected weather by offering up one AME reader the chance to win a Master Lock Prize Pack which includes:
- Master Lock Combination Padlock
- Master Lock Covered Laminated Padlock
- Master Lock Python Adjustable Locking Cable
Enter by filling out the entry ballot below! Open to Canada (excluding Quebec) and US residents 18+. Mandatory entry must be complete for extras to count. One entry per household. Please provide a valid email address upon entering.
By entering this giveaway you understand should you win your information will be shared with those representing Master Lock for prizing purposes only. Privacy is important on AME!